St Andrew’s began as the mission church of the Good Shepherd, and opened in a temporary building in 1894 as a mission church of St. Mary’s, Handsworth. The church was dedicated to the Good Shepherd; hence our Good Shepherd Chapel and Good Shepherd Hall. This original building is now part of the Sports and Community Centre.
A permanent church was built in 1908, dedicated to St. Andrew in 1910, and consecrated in 1914. It is built of red and blue brick with stone facings in the Decorated style and consists of nave, chancel, west chapel, east organ chamber and a small central spire. A parish was assigned from St. Mary’s, Handsworth, and St. James’s, Handsworth, in 1914, when the living, a vicarage, was in the gift of the Rector of Handsworth for the first turn, then of the bishop.
The foundation stone of the present church building was laid on Saturday 19th October 1907 by the Rt Hon the Earl of Dartmouth. The architect of the new church was William Henry Bidlake, and the church was consecrated on Saturday 30th January 1909, by the Rt Rev Charles Gore, the first Bishop of the new Diocese of Birmingham.
The Church is a fine example of William Bidlake’s work and gained Grade 1 listed status in July 1982.