The church originated as the mission church of the Good Shepherd. It opened in a temporary building in 1894 as a mission church of St. Mary’s, Handsworth. The current building was designed by the architect William Bidlake in the Arts and Crafts style. Work started in 1907 and the building was completed in 1908. The church was dedicated in 1910 and it was consecrated in 1914 when a parish was assigned from St Mary’s and St James’.
The Parish Church of St Andrew, Oxhill Road, Birmingham. Built between 1907-1909. This was one of the churches designed by William Henry Bidlake, a leading figure of the Arts and Crafts movement in Birmingham and Director of the School of Architecture at Birmingham School of Art from 1919 until 1924.